Pages

Sunday, August 28, 2011

Shrimp Ceviche

>

 This is one of my all time favorite ways to eat fish and shrimp. Ceviche is a raw dish that uses the acid from the lemon and limes to "cook" the fish. It will cure pretty quickly, but I like to let it sit in the fridge overnight for lunch the next day just because it's less fuss. Growing up close to the border I've had a lot of ceviche in my life. My best friend from high schools mom made this for every family party, and there were a lot of parties! =P Originally from Peru, I'm not sure if my version is legit or not. All I know is it's delicious!


Shrimp Ceviche
      makes 4 servings
  • 7 extra large shrimp, peeled and deveined (raw!)
  • 1 small jalapeno, finely diced
  • 1 Roma tomato
  • 1/2 cucumber; peeled, seeded, and chopped
  • 1/2 white or red onion, finely diced
  • juice of 2 lemons
  • juice of 2 limes
  • S&P to taste
  • cilantro to taste, chopped
  • plastic wrap
Preparation & "Cooking" Instructions

Peel and rinse your shrimp, then chop into about 6 pieces per shrimp. Chop the rest of your veggies and juice the lemons and limes. Add everything to a plastic or glass container with a fitted lid. Mix in your salt and pepper (I just did a dash of both, the shrimp has a lot of natural sodium), also throw in some cilantro if you want it. Stir to combine, then take a piece of plastic wrap and press it down against the mixture so everything stays pressed into the juices. Put the top on the container and let sit in the fridge overnight. I served up a portion of this with a whole grain Wasa cracker to use as a chip. Enjoy!!

If you're curing this for a shorter period of time, you can tell when the shrimp is ready because it will become white and pink just like it would if cooked over heat. Be sure to serve cold!

(67.75 calories per serving)



2 comments:

Ashleys Cooking Adventures said...

I fell in love with shrimp ceviche in Mexico and have a very similar recipe on my blog. Reminds me to make it again sometime! I'm diggin' the new layout BTW! :)

Healthy & Homemade said...

Thanks Ashley!! It was definitely time for a change, the layout had been the same forever =P I LOVE ceviche too! Perfect for these hot summer days =)