Pages

Monday, August 29, 2011

Under 200 calories: Steak & Broccoli


 It's amazing how much food you can enjoy for such a small amount of calories. Round beef is relatively low on calories (166 for 3.5 ounces, or 100 grams) and cooks up in literally no time at all. The best way to add flavor and juiciness is using a nice dry rub, while it's cooking you can add a little 99% fat free chicken broth to keep it moist. I used the browned bits left behind in the pan and combined those with chicken broth to deglaze the pan, then I threw in my steamed broccoli and a little S&P just to add a bit of flavor to the veggie. 

This whole meal was 179 calories.



Round Steak & Broccoli
  • 100 g (3.5 ounces) round steak, extra fat trimmed. Choose a package with the least marbling
  • 1/2 cup broccoli
  • 4 tbsp. 99% fat free chicken broth
  • granulated garlic, granulated onion, S&P all to taste
Preparation & Cooking Instructions

I chose to use the frozen broccoli that came in a steamer bag. I zapped it for about 4 minutes in the microwave until it was just done, but not overcooked and brown. Season the steak on both sides, I just did a light sprinkling of all the spices. Don't go too heavy on the salt because you can always add more. In a non-stick skillet I did a quick spritz of Pam then added my steaks (cooked for hubby too). Cook over medium heat until there is a nice sear on one side then flip and cook the other side. I think I did these steaks on about 3 minutes per side and they came out perfectly medium. Definitely don't overcook these steaks because they are so lean! You can add a tbsp. of chicken broth to the pan while the beef is cooking to add in a bit of moisture. Once the beef is cooked transfer to a plate and cover with foil, let rest for 5 minutes. Use the remaining chicken broth to deglaze the pan and toss in your broccoli and season with S&P. Toss the broccoli around until it's coated in the juices and the pan dries up.

Serve the beef and broccoli, use the juices that dripped out on the rest plate to drizzle over the steak. Enjoy!


2 comments:

leslie said...

Love the new blog look! And love this simple dinner!

Healthy & Homemade said...

Thank you Leslie! I wish I was eating this right now! =P