Pages

Thursday, August 5, 2010

How To: Cinnamon Rolls from Canned Biscuits

My mother made a delicious batch of cinnamon rolls the other day. I went over to her house and left with baggie with two cinnamon rolls. I must admit, with my husband sitting right next to me, that I ate both of them. One was supposed to be for him, but I just couldn't resist! I felt really guilty about the cinnamon rolls; my poor husband had missed out on a treat, a treat we had been craving for weeks. I decided I would make a batch to ease my guilt, this is where I encountered a slight problem. I had never actually made cinnamon rolls before; not Pillsbury and definitely not from scratch. Enter: Store brand 50 cent can of biscuit dough. How do you spell lifesaver? BISCUIT DOUGH.

  

Cinnamon Rolls
      makes 10
  • 7.5 oz can of Biscuits
  • 2 tbsp unsalted Butter, melted
  • 1/2 c. Brown Sugar
  • 1.5 tbsp Cinnamon
  • finely chopped Pecans
Glaze
  • 1/2 c. Confectioners Sugar
  • 1-2 tbsp Milk
  • 2-3 drops of Vanilla Extract

Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. In a shallow dish combine the brown sugar and cinnamon and whisk to combine. Take one biscuit and roll that into a long cylinder. Dredge the dough through the melted butter and into the cinnamon sugar mixture. Roll that up and place in a buttered baking dish. Follow the same steps with the remaining biscuits. Top the rolls with the chopped pecans and bake for 20 minutes. After removing from oven, brush the glaze onto the rolls and let cool until ready to serve.

The glaze is easy to make; simply combine the three ingredients in a bowl and stir will with a fork or whisk. You can adjust the milk/sugar as needed. It should be thinned out but not too runny. I say experiment and try swapping the milk and vanilla with orange juice for a nice orange glaze.





You can serve these with eggs; above is a hard boiled egg, but these went really well the next morning with Oeufs en Cocotte.

7 comments:

Dani Spies said...

My husband requests cinnamon rolls every year for his birthday and I must admit I've never attempted to make them home made or even semi home-made! This recipe is good inspiration because it feels very do-able!! Thanks for the yummy idea! (My husband will especially be very grateful!)

Lyn said...

my god that looks good. seriously I am salivating right now. I didn't know it was this easy to make it. I have to try this for breakfast one day. bookmarking this one!

Anonymous said...

I made these this morning and they were DEVINE!!!!!!! Hubby and kids loved them!! Thanks for the post and pics...God bless

Farley Family said...

Lyn, they were heavenly!!!! Good luck, hope you try them soon!

meg said...

I'm pregnant and craving cinnamon rolls but I didn't want to get out of the house. This is the first recipe I found and it sounds amazing. On my way to the kitchen!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the news this is great make them almost every day thanks soo much

Anonymous said...

When I initially commented I clicked the "Notify me when new comments are added" checkbox and now each time
a comment is added I get several emails with the same comment.
Is there any way you can remove people from that service?

Thanks!

Feel free to surf to my web blog ... fresh look color contacts, contactspro.net,