Pages

Friday, May 6, 2011

Repost:Triple Seasoning Crock Pot Roast

Since I haven't been cooking anything interesting (just a lot of omelettes and frozen foods) I thought I would repost a favorite recipe of mine! If you want a nice home cooked meal over the weekend, without doing much cooking, this crock pot recipe is absolutely perfect!

I saw the recipe on Monica's blog and I knew I just had to make it! I actually have three recipes to share with you tonight.




For the roast, you will need:
  • angus beef (any size to fit your crock pot, I bought 2.10 lbs. and I wish we had more!)
  • 1 packet ranch dressing mix
  • 1 packet Italian dressing mix
  • 1 packet brown gravy mix
  • 1/2 cup warm water
  • for the gravy: 1 tablespoon corn starch + 2 tablespoons cold water
For the mashed potatoes, you will need:
  • 3 organic russet potatoes
  • 1/2 head purple kale, finely chopped
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • splash of milk, to your liking
  • salt + pepper, to taste
For the carrots, you will need:
  • 3 carrots, peeled and chopped into strips
  • 1/2 cup orange juice
  • 2 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • pinch cayenne pepper or red pepper
For the roast, place into crock pot and pour over your warm water mixed with your three seasonings. Cook on low for 6-7 hours. To make the gravy take the roast drippings and add to a small sauce pan. Stir in your corn starch mixed with the cold water. Bring to a boil and whisk to thicken. Set aside, pour over meat and potatoes when ready to serve.

My mistake was starting the carrots too late. I would say when your roast has been cooking about 5 1/2-6 hours (depending on how long you want to cook it) start your carrots because they will take a while to cook. In a small sauce pan combine the orange juice, brown sugar, butter, and pepper. Bring to a simmer and cook until it has thickened into a glaze. Once you have a glaze, pour over your carrots and place in a preheated 350 degree F oven until carrots are tender. It took me about 35-40 minutes cooked in a glass dish without a lid. 

To make the mashed potatoes, peel and chop potatoes into uniform chunks and place in a pot and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil and salt heavily. Cook the potatoes until they can be pierced with a fork or knife. Chop your purple kale and add to the same pot where your potatoes are boiling. Blanch the kale for a minute or two and then drain the potato and kale mixture. Mash in butter, milk, salt + pepper until the potatoes are light and fluffy.

Serve and eat your heart out ^_^



8 comments:

Joanne said...

That gravy has me DROOLING!

Julia said...

Mmmmm, I love a good roast! This looks amazing! I'll have to make it :)

Jerseypepper said...

Looks delicious....i love those Kale Mashed Potatoes!

Sherry Goldsmith said...

That looks amazing!! I just made a crock pot meal tonite - so stinkin' easy and healthy, I don't know why I don't do it more often!!

http://sweetandsassy-sherry.blogspot.com/

Healthy & Homemade said...

 I know seriously, my crock pot sits high up on a shelf in my kitchen and never gets any love. I need to remember it's an easy way to make most meals we make in a skillet in addition to soups. Yum!

Healthy & Homemade said...

 I do too!! They're just a tiny bit healthier than regular mashed potatoes, especially if you leave the skins on the potatoes. Now I want some =P

Healthy & Homemade said...

 The flavor of this gravy is just insanely good. The roast turns out perfectly tender and juicy!

Healthy & Homemade said...

 It's seriously one of the best gravies EVER. The ranch and Italian dressings add this crazy delicious flavor you wouldn't get with a regular pan gravy. Now I really want to make this . . . OR just make the gravy and pour it over potatoes =P haha