Pages

Friday, April 29, 2011

SOYrizo!



I've never had chorizo, when I want a meaty Mexican breakfast I got for a breakfast burrito or machaca. Chorizo is made from the lymph nodes and other questionable parts of the pig. That grosses me out quite a bit. Although I've never had authentic chorizo, I think soyrizo tastes excellent! I know a lot of people that say it almost tastes the same as the real deal. So I'm guessing both are tasty, but one is a far healthier choice. You can find soyrizo in pretty much any grocery store, and especially in health food stores. I have a quick and easy way to make breakfast burritos for me and the hubs on weekends!


Soyrizo Breakfast Burritos
  • 1 package soyrizo
  • 3 bell peppers, diced
  • 1/2 large white onion, diced
  • Olive or canola oil
  • S&P, to taste
  • 4 whole wheat flour tortillas
  • Cheddar cheese
  • 4 eggs, scrambled
Preparation & Cooking Instructions

  Dice all of your veggies and saute them over medium heat in a bit of oil, add a dash of salt and pepper for flavor. Once the veggies have softened add the soyrizo (removed from it's casing) and turn the heat up to medium-high. Cook the soyrizo, stirring frequently, until it's hot throughout. The soyrizo is already cooked, but you can cook it longer to add a bit of color and crunch if you'd like. In a separate pan scramble your eggs the way you like them. Take a tortilla and sprinkle on a little cheese then microwave about 20 seconds. Spoon the soyrizo/pepper mixture into the tortilla along with some scrambled egg and fold into a burrito. You can add salsa, avocado, sour cream, etc. if you prefer. I like to add chopped pickled jalapeno peppers for a bit of spice. Enjoy!

No comments: