Pages

Friday, April 8, 2011

Poached Eggs & Asparagus

I've been seeing this all over the food blogging world lately. Spring is the absolute perfect season to buy asparagus. It's so vibrant, crisp, and full of flavor. The combination of creamy eggs with crisp asparagus is to die for, especially when sprinkled with freshly grated parmesan cheese!




What you'll need:
  • 2 eggs per person
  • 6 small stalks of asparagus per person
  • S&P
  • Parmesan cheese, grated! The good stuff!
  • A skillet filled with simmering water
I poach my eggs in a skillet, I think it's easier because the water is shallow and I feel like I have more control. Supposedly adding an acid helps keep the whites of the egg together, so I added a cap full (the cap from the bottle!) of white vinegar because I was out of apple cider vinegar. Fill the skillet up so you have at least 2.5 to 3 inches of water from the bottom up. Bring the water to a good simmer over medium-high heat. You don't want the water boiling over but you definitely want a ton of simmering bubbles throughout the skillet to help the eggs stay formed. Break an egg into a very small bowl (I use one of the bowls that's for salt or spices) and slip the eggs into the simmer water. When the whites begin to turn white, gently fold the white over the yolk using a spoon or spatula. Eventually I give it a flip to make sure it cooks evenly. I leave mine in for several minutes to ensure the yolk has had proper time to cook to my liking. I'm not a huge fan of a soft yolk, but in a meal like this it's almost necessary! Drain the excess water from the egg using a slotted spoon then set it on a paper towel to rest. I boiled the asparagus as well so this was a butter and oil free meal! The only 'bad' fat was the cheese.


8 comments:

Jennifer Patch said...

Looks delish! I would add some "fried" tomatoes ;-p

fashiontherapist said...

Yum! Looks delish - I'll have to try this next time.

Healthy & Homemade said...

Quick, easy, and nutritious! This is a great post workout meal =)

Healthy & Homemade said...

Haha, yeah that would make it nice and healthy! =P

Sandya0227 said...

have you thought about starting your own youtube channel?? you'd have lotsa subsrcibers :)

Pam said...

One of my very favorite dishes... the poached egss look perfectly cooked.

Healthy & Homemade said...

Oh wow that's sweet thank you! I've thought about it before, then I realize I hardly have time to even take pictures of the food when (if!!) I'm cooking. Sometimes I dream about being a housewife, without the kids, and just doing what I want all day long. This would involve a lot of pedicures, shopping, drinking wine, and cooking haha =)

Healthy & Homemade said...

I tend to overcook my eggs a bit when I poach them. I like the soft yolk, but when it's TOO runny it really freaks me out. It must be a texture thing =P