Pages

Friday, April 15, 2011

Shaved Asparagus Pizza


Last week I made poached eggs over asparagus for brunch, a couple of days later the asparagus was looking a little sad and I knew I had to use it up somehow. As luck would have it I had frozen dough in the freezer, an open jar of basil marinara sauce, and a ton of mozzarella cheese in the fridge! I thawed out the dough the night before and decided to make a pizza. I was just going to chop the asparagus and lay it over the cheese but then I thought about the textures, do I steam the asparagus first? Do I just cook the pizza for a while until the asparagus is tender? I figured it would be easier to just use a vegetable peeler to shave the asparagus into thin slices. It worked well! I love making a simple cheese pizza then bumping up the nutrition by using whatever veggies you have on hand.


Shaved Asparagus Pizza
  • Prepared pizza dough, preferably whole wheat
  • 3/4 cup pizza or marinara sauce
  • LOTS of mozzarella cheese ;)
  • Parmesan cheese
  • olive oil
  • S&P
Preparation & Cooking Instructions

Preheat oven to 450 F. I leave the pizza dough out for a while, about 40 minutes, before I attempt to roll it out. Roll it out to your desired shape, drizzle some olive oil on a baking sheet then place your dough over the oil. I baked mine for 8 minutes, and then flipped it over before I topped it so the bottom wouldn't get too brown. Top the dough with your sauce and cheese and bake for another 8 minutes. While that's baking you can shave the asparagus and toss it well with olive oil and S&P. Top the cheese with your asparagus, an extra drizzle of olive oil, and some Parmesan cheese. Cook another 5-8 minutes.



*sorry for the poor picture quality, I had to use the flash because it was incredibly gloomy in my apartment!*

6 comments:

Joanne said...

I'm a serious asparagus addict so this pizza looks delicious to me! Especially with all that cheese. Sigh. Cheese makes the world go round.

Healthy & Homemade said...

YES! Cheese is amazing. Being vegan was awful because fake cheese is just
terrible. Hooray for cheese lovers!

Jessica Wood said...

This looks soooooo good! Just found your wonderful blog and am a new follower!
- Jessica @ http://cajunlicious.com

Healthy & Homemade said...

Thank you! I LOVE your blog, I'm following you as well.

Monica H said...

That looks and sounds really great. How creative of you!

Healthy & Homemade said...

It was delicious! Unfortunately, not SO great as leftovers haha.