Pages

Saturday, June 19, 2010

No Excuses Breakfast


Give this simple and easy breakfast a shot, I'll even prove how awesome it is by listing the nutritional information.
  • 286 calories
  • 11.5 grams fat
  • 15.7 grams protein
  • 31.9 grams carbohydrates
  • 8.3 grams fiber
Yay for a lot of fiber!! I used an Orowheat extra fiber whole grain English muffin for my breakfast, I highly recommend this brand. The carbohydrates are a little high, but it's first thing in the morning and you have the entire day ahead of you to burn off those carbs. Low in calories, don't worry about the fat because you will also burn that off, and definitely enough protein to keep your body fueled. Want to know the coolest part about this meal? Virtually NO clean up! How you ask? Making your scramble in a mug. I'm sure you remember doing homemade Egg McMuffin sandwiches when you were a kid. You'd scramble the egg in a glass and microwave it in that perfect round shape that was great for sandwiches. You can use the same technique to make delicious breakfast scrambles. 
  • 1 English muffin
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 slice turkey or soy bacon
  • 1 tablespoon chopped onion
  • 1 tablespoon chopped green bell pepper
  • 1 wedge Laughing Cow cheese
  • 1 tablespoon ketchup
Preparation & Cooking Instructions

To begin, place your English muffin in the toaster oven or toaster (or leave it room temperature if you prefer). Chop your onion and bell pepper, place in a coffee mug and microwave on high for 30 seconds.  Remove from mug and set aside (I use paper plates when I don't want to dirty up a cutting board if it's just for myself). Crisp up turkey bacon in microwave (about 1 minute) crumble and mix with veggies. Slather your English muffin with the Laughing Cow light Swiss cheese. Spray mug with Pam, add one egg, the peppers, onion, and bacon and stir. Microwave on high for one minute. Remove from microwave, stir, and microwave an additional 30 seconds or until set. Plate and enjoy! Super simple! Fill that mug up with water and throw in the knife you used to chop everything. When you get home again it will be ready to pop in the dishwasher.

3 comments:

Chelsea said...

okay this I could totally do before I leave home. gotta try it!

Kathryn from Schoolmarm Style said...

That is so amazingly easy! I'll have to try it soon. I've been doing a lot of oatmeal lately. I make a big pot of steel cut oats on the weekend then I just microwave a bit with some soymilk and frozen blueberries- delicious!

Lori said...

This looks really yummy. I'm gonna have to give it a try.