Pages

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Chicken with Olives, adapted from Pioneer Woman

I saw this recipe posted on Monday over at Pioneer Woman's blog. I love her blog by the way. I seriously laugh out loud with every post, her writing is so comedic and witty. One of my faves ^_^ Well I actually ended up making this on Monday, I had everything but chicken thighs so I ran down to Albertsons and bought boneless skinless organic chicken breasts. Just a little visual for you: right now, as I'm typing this, my hammy hog is snuggled in my bosom tucked in securely by a sports bra taking a nap. She's literally the cutest thing I've ever seen, I hope her teeth grow back in properly =/ Okay, back to the recipe! Grab your skillet and get into the kitchen. Although, if you're already holding the skillet God forbid you're in the bathroom and not the kitchen.




Chicken and Olives:
     adapted from Pioneer Woman 
  • 2 tablespoons butter, divided
  • 1 tablespoon EVOO
  • 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (on the small side, or you can use 2 ginormous breasts. I had a couple bits of chicken thighs leftover from another recipe and threw those in as well!)
  • 1 medium onion, diced
  • 5 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 green bell peppers, seeded and roughly chopped
  • 28 ounce can San Marzano diced tomatoes, drained
  • 1 (large) cup dry white wine
  • salt + pepper
  • 1 tablespoon corn starch
  • 3 tablespoons milk
  • 6 garlic stuffed green olives
  • 10 ounces whole wheat penne pasta
I followed the exact steps as the original recipe, which can be found here. Check out the original recipe for step by step instructions and fabulous pictures! I'll give you a quick rundown of how I made it, just in case you want to make it using the ingredients I did.

Melt 1 tablespoon butter and oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Brown chicken on both sides and set aside. Add the chopped veggies to the skillet and cook until onions are softened. Then add in tomatoes, wine, salt and pepper and chicken.


Cover and transfer to 375 F oven and cook for 45 minutes. I cooked for 30 since my chicken was boneless and skinless.


Add in the cornstarch and water mixture and cook an additional 20 minutes.


Cook and drain your whole wheat pasta (I used some of the "smart tasting" kind that looks white but is whole wheat? yeah, weird) and toss into the mix once everything is cooked. My chicken (since it was already cut into smaller pieces) was falling apart in the sauce and noodles, which I actually liked it was amazing. I served this up with homemade garlic bread, although a side salad would have been the smarter choice ;-)




6 comments:

Elaine said...

Ooooh, this sounds and looks absolutely delicious!

Don't forget to enter to win a Lime Ricki swimsuit!
clothed much, a modest fashion blog

Joanne said...

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog! I LOVE yours!

And I love PW as well! I swear I read all of her posts and end up laughing out loud throughout the whole ordeal.

This chicken with olives looks delicious!

Peggy said...

This sounds great! I'm not a big olive fan but I bet I'd like this!

Chef Dennis Littley said...

what a great recipe!! my wife loves olives in food, she will adore this!

Bexter said...

I think all comfort foods should have some wine stirred in :)

Daer0n said...

I am SO making this tonight, I have all the ingredients, and I know for a fact that my husband will just LOVE this, so this is what's for supper tonight! Awesome recipes you have on your blog, I am not following you since I LOVE food AND cooking! :)