Pages

Monday, May 31, 2010

Triple Seasoning Crock Pot Roast

When I first saw this all I could say was "mmm," I assure you after my first sniff I said the same; after my first taste I was in heaven, mmm'ing with every bite that hit my tongue. I saw the recipe on Monica's blog and I knew I just had to make it! I actually have three recipes to share with you tonight. First: crock pot roast beef; second: mashed potatoes with purple kale; third: orange glazed carrots. Thank you Monica for posting such an amazing recipe, I absolutely loved it.




For the roast, you will need:
  • angus beef (any size to fit your crock pot, I bought 2.10 lbs. and I wish we had more!)
  • 1 packet ranch dressing mix
  • 1 packet Italian dressing mix
  • 1 packet brown gravy mix
  • 1/2 cup warm water
  • for the gravy: 1 tablespoon corn starch + 2 tablespoons cold water
For the mashed potatoes, you will need:
  • 3 organic russet potatoes
  • 1/2 head purple kale, finely chopped
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • splash of milk, to your liking
  • salt + pepper, to taste
For the carrots, you will need:
  • 3 carrots, peeled and chopped into strips
  • 1/2 cup orange juice
  • 2 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • pinch cayenne pepper or red pepper
For the roast, place into crock pot and pour over your warm water mixed with your three seasonings. Cook on low for 6-7 hours. To make the gravy take the roast drippings and add to a small sauce pan. Stir in your corn starch mixed with the cold water. Bring to a boil and whisk to thicken. Set aside, pour over meat and potatoes when ready to serve.

My mistake was starting the carrots too late. I would say when your roast has been cooking about 5 1/2-6 hours (depending on how long you want to cook it) start your carrots because they will take a while to cook. In a small sauce pan combine the orange juice, brown sugar, butter, and pepper. Bring to a simmer and cook until it has thickened into a glaze. Once you have a glaze, pour over your carrots and place in a preheated 350 degree F oven until carrots are tender. It took me about 35-40 minutes cooked in a glass dish without a lid. 

To make the mashed potatoes, peel and chop potatoes into uniform chunks and place in a pot and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil and salt heavily. Cook the potatoes until they can be pierced with a fork or knife. Chop your purple kale and add to the same pot where your potatoes are boiling. Blanch the kale for a minute or two and then drain the potato and kale mixture. Mash in butter, milk, salt + pepper until the potatoes are light and fluffy. Serve and eat your heart out!

<


4 comments:

erica said...

Yum!!! That looks absolutely delish!

xo

Lyn said...

omg that roast beef looks amazing steph!!!! I'm in such awe of your healthy cooking skills! gah have me for dinner!! hahahah! I really really miss your butt!

Healthy and Homemade said...

Awwww thanks buddy, it's so not healthy if you eat a lot though!!

Dude come eat, I miss your company <3

Monica H said...

I'm so glad you liked this pot roast. It is so simple and comforting at the same time. Once it gets a little cooler I'm making it again, for the the 10th time!