Pages

Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Chocolate and Almond Cake


I watched Julie & Julia again yesterday and then I wanted to make a cake. I'm really bad, I'll watch the movie once and then start it again right away ^_^ I've said it before and I'll say it again: I am not a baker. I'm also not a fan of adding 1,000 lbs. of butter to something so I used an organic cake mix that I've used in the past. The cake comes out sweet, fluffy, moist, and chocolaty! I also didn't have powdered sugar so I bought the organic chocolate icing to go with. I wanted to make it an chocolate-almond cake like in the movie, so I used an additional 1/2 teaspoon of almond extract in the cake mix and garnished the icing with sliced almonds.

You will need:
  • 1 box chocolate cake mix
  • 1 box chocolate icing mix
  • 2 tablespoons coffee or rum
  • 1/2 teaspoon almond extra
  • sliced almonds to garnish the cake
  • 2-8 or 9 inch round baking pans

My mix called for the oven to be preheated to 350 F. While I was waiting for the oven to heat up I combined the ingredients in my mixing bowl and added in 2 tablespoons of coffee and the almond extract. I baked my cakes for 35 minutes and let them cool on the rack. Once the cake was cooled I started on my icing. I'm not a fan of icing a cake with super runny icing, so I stick it in the fridge for a few minutes to thicken it up. Spread icing between your two cake layers and stack them on top of each other. Ice the cake, and garnish the sides with sliced almonds. Then the best part, eat and enjoy!



6 comments:

Lori said...

I read you :) Please don't quit. Where will I get dinner ideas?

Healthy and Homemade said...

Lori, you are too sweet!! =)

Jen Hsieh said...

that cake looks delicious and moist! i'm dying for a piece :)

Kendi Lea said...

Um oh my gosh. Desert and vegetarian and chocolate and almonds? This is what I should be eating everyday. My stomach applauds you, my waistline curses you.

I'm a reader :)

erica said...

beautiful cake!

xo

Christen said...

This looks soooooo yummy. I might have to make it this weekend... to, um, celebrate that it's the weekend. :)