Pages

Sunday, May 30, 2010

Bell Pepper Egg in the Basket


I made this for breakfast the other day after seeing it in Martha Stewart's Everyday Food magazine. I think they're delicious, and a great way to get in extra veggies in the morning and cut out the extra carbohydrates. If you're like me you love breakfast food, and egg in the basket (or egg in a hole, birds nest, moon over Miami, cowboy eggs, etc.) was a favorite of mine as a kid and still is today. They can be made with toast, waffles, and even french toast ^_^ If you're totally lost and have no clue what I'm talking about, it's the dish made by making a hole in a slice of bread, frying it up in butter and cracking a whole egg in the toast. Yummo! This is a healthy spin on that already amazing dish. Grab your eggs and lets get cookin!

You will need (per person):
  • 1 whole egg
  • small piece of toast, crispy bread, etc. (I used a small slice of the bread I buy for bruschetta)
  • 1/2 inch thick ring of bell pepper (any color)
  • salt + pepper
Get your skillet nice and hot over medium heat. Spray with Pam, olive oil, or butter and throw in your bell pepper ring. Crack an egg directly into the bell pepper. Cover with lid and reduce heat to medium-low, or low, and let cook until egg is set. The reason I start on higher heat is it seems to keep the egg in place, I also spray Pam directly into the bell pepper ring instead of the whole pan. It sets the egg in place and prevents it from running all over. You can toast up your bread in the pan before or after cooking, I just did mine in the toaster over. Garnish with salt + pepper, slide egg onto toast, and enjoy! You can also sprinkle the egg with cheese instead of salt, and this can be served with hot sauce, ketchup, or jam.


5 comments:

Jen Hsieh said...

this looks so yummy and i love that the egg kind of sits in the pepper :)

Stephanie said...

Yum, that looks beautiful and so healthy. I might have to try that!!

Raquelita said...

Oh, this looks great! I think I know what I'm having for breakfast tomorrow!

Ebony Arwen said...

Bell paper as in capsicum? Is it the same thing? Haha. Either way this looks delish - great way to get a serve of your vegies at brekkie!

Healthy and Homemade said...

Yes! Same thing, they're just called peppers in the states, Canada, and some European countries ^_^