Pages

Sunday, March 7, 2010

Monkey Bread

This is a simple and delicious treat also known as "pull apart bread." I love this stuff! When my husband and I placed the order for our wedding cake we got a free loaf of monkey bread. It was a small bakery in Point Loma and they wanted to thank us. I haven't had this since then, so I thought it was time I made some. You can do different versions of this dish. A great way is to chop up walnuts and raisins and layer those in about halfway between the dough and over the top.  I didn't feel like chopping nuts, and I don't have any raisins so I just made the bread plain.

Monkey Bread
  • Three or four 7.5 ounce cans Albertson's brand (or any other) of home style buttermilk biscuits
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar (I use the raw organic cane sugar, it's a little more grainy)
  • 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1/3 cup butter (or margarine), melted
If you're using 2 large cans or the Pillsbury cans (16.3 ounces) then you can bump up the brown sugar to 1 cup and the butter to 3/4 but it all depends on the shape of the pan you're using. Generally you would want to use a bundt cake pan, since I don't have one I used a little disposable loaf pan that I got from my neighbor. I thought it would work well since the bread would still be close together and the sugary butter mixture would still be able to cover everything as it cooked. Unfortunately my cake pan would only hold three of the cans, and I probably could have gotten away with two since the bread rises.

To start off, preheat your oven to 350 F and open up your cans and quarter your individual biscuits. In a bowl (or Ziploc freezer bag, I was out) combine your cinnamon and granulated sugar. If you're using the bag you can just add in all your dough and shake it up, but since I was using a bowl I did mine in small batches filling the pan. Melt your butter and add the brown sugar, stir and cover the bread mixture with the sticky yummy goodness. I kind of poked at the mixture to get it to flow down into the cracks before I popped it in the oven. Bake at 350 for about 30 minutes, or until golden brown and fully cooked through the center. When cool flip over onto a plate, pull apart to eat and enjoy!

I do recommend using a bundt pan because I had to flip this over and keep cooking it after the full half hour because it was still doughy and raw in the middle =/




After my little monkeys had a bite =)

7 comments:

Tabitha said...

I've always wanted to learn how to make monkey bread - I must try it now!

myedit said...

I need to make this! But only if I have a ton of peeps coming over because I have no self-control and that looks like a sore stomach! So delicious looking!

daisychain said...

drooling...

ana said...

looks absolutely delicious!!!!

Jen Hsieh said...

so i'm pretty much drooling at the sight of this "pull-apart" bread. yum yum :)

Fashion Court said...

that looks AMAZING! i saw a recipe on my favorite cooking site (smittenkitchen.com - not sure if you've heard of it, but if you haven't i think you'll love it - let's put it this way, everything i've made off that site i have LOVED) has a recipe for that too that i've been dying to try!

Healthy and Homemade said...

Hahaha thanks! Yes I've read smittenkitchen's blog and although I think all of the food and photography is beautiful it's usually a bit unhealthy . . . I mean in terms of how my husband and I try to eat anyway.

Her recipe for monkey bread called for 12 tablespoons of butter where my recipe only calls for a 1/3 of a cup. Don't get me wrong, if I had an insanely fast metabolism or actually went to the gym more than twice a week I'd be eating McDonald's every day.

Okay that's a lie, but I probably wouldn't be so hesitant =P