Pages

Wednesday, March 3, 2010

BBQ Baked Tofu


I *love* this recipe! It's incredibly simple to pull together, everything cooks at just about the same time but with enough time in between to prep and it's healthy! GASP! Healthy? I know, about time. Grab a few pots and dishes and lets get cooking!

BBQ Baked Tofu
  • 1/3 cup ketchup
  • 1/6 cup water
  • 2 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 1/2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
  • 4 teaspoons minced garlic
  • 1 teaspoon yellow mustard
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons smoked paprika (will give it a smokey, cooked for hours kind of flavor)
  • 1 teaspoon Bragg's Liquid Amino's (optional)
  • 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • black pepper to taste
  • 1 package of extra firm tofu
  • optional: cous cous to serve it on
Preheat your oven to 425F. Mix all of your ingredients together and stir continually over low heat for 5-10 minutes, or until thickened. I sliced my tofu into 8 equal strips, lightly brushed one side with the sauce, put the tofu into a pan sauce side down, and smothered the top with the remaining sauce. Reserve a tiny bit of sauce, halfway through cooking take the tofu out of the oven and brush with the remaining sauce and continue to cook until firm. Bake at 425 degrees for about 30 minutes, or until firm. If you've never made cous cous, it's incredibly simple. I boiled 1 cup of water, added 1 cup of cous cous, knob of butter, a splash of lemon juice and parsley then you stir it and cover for about 5 minutes. The cous cous absorbs the water and become very dry. You can also add a splash of cream or milk to make it nice and creamy. 

I cannot say how delicious this is, and how simple! If you're not a tofu lover you might want to give this a shot, I think you'll be surprised by the flavor. Maybe I'm just partial to my homemade BBQ sauce though ;-)

10 comments:

Kathryn from Schoolmarm Style said...

I'm not a vegetarian but I LOVE tofu! This entire menu looks so yummy and simple. I may have to have this over the weekend.

daisychain said...

Oh man, I'm coming to yours for dinner! I LOVE tofu.

I also love your skirt in the post below.

Onika said...

Ha! I have left over firm tofu?! I am soooo making this.

Elaine said...

That sounds delicious. I need to start making your recipes!!!

clothedmuch.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

This looks awesome! I was lame and ordered some tofu from a local Chinese place today instead of making it...but mmmm reminded me that I've missed it!

Lori said...

Thank you so much for taking time to check out my blog :)
This dish looks super yummy. I'm putting it on our menu list for next week.

Michelle said...

Ok, the day you posted this on your blog, I made it and it was fantabulous! A little on the spicy side which at first took me off guard but I still love it! I'm making it again tonight! So yummy! And, it uses pretty much all of my staples in the fridge, so at the end of the month when we don't have too much money, I can just whip this tofu up and everyone loves it (including my 2 year old!)

Michelle said...

I am officially making this a third time! I also copied the recipe and put it in my personal cookbook so I don't have to keep logging on for the recipe! So so so yummy, it tastes like BBQ'd pork!

Healthy and Homemade said...

This recipe is beyond delicious!! I'm so in love with it, and if you don't have time to even make sauce it's so easy to just grab one from the market =)

So glad you're enjoying it!

little j said...

This looks soooo yummy! I haven't really cooked with tofu before, but I will definitely try this recipe. My sister is always cooking her tofu plain (BLAH!) so I have no clue how great tofu can taste!!