Pages

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Homemade Tortilla Chips and Guacamole


Here is another wonderful recipe for summer! Luckily, living in California there are always ripe avocados available . . . even in Winter! =) I actually made a quick little crappy video on frying the chips. These can easily be baked as well, I just think they taste better fried =P
Homemade Tortilla Chips and Guacamole
  • flour tortillas, cut into 8 pieces
  • canola oil for frying
  • 1 avocado diced
  • 1/4 red onion diced
  • 2 Roma tomatoes, or one regular large tomato diced
  • jalapenos (jarred, or fresh) diced
  • salt, to taste
  • optional: squeeze of fresh lime juice


You can see from the close up of my "guacamole" it isn't completely traditional. I hate when guacamole turns to mush and starts to look more like vomit than a tasty dish. My tip is to finely dice everything. That's it. Dice finely, gently stir and add salt to taste. Simple! It tastes much fresher and more wholesome this way, my hubby will agree =) You can certainly spice this up with freshly chopped cilantro and lime juice, but I'm all about working with what I have.

Basically for the chips you want to cover the bottom of your pan (about 1/8 inch to 1/4 an inch) with vegetable oil and preheat that over medium-high heat. The heat doens't have to be screaming hot because that will cause the oil to bubble and splash, which is painful! Instead, medium-high heat works great. I did mine 4-6 at a time and flipped them after about a minute on each side. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese, salt, or whatever else you'd like and let cool while they drain on a paper towel. That's it! Super simple and amazing ^_^

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Guacamole is basically my favorite thing. Other than maybe cookie dough. ;) These homemade chips look amazing--will definitely have to try sometime!

Healthy and Homemade said...

Awwww you're the sweetest! I wish we were friends in "real life" lol =D

Guacamole is totally the best, I like it really fresh like this! Then again I'm overly picky about everything haha.

Jen Hsieh said...

i love the idea of homemade tortilla chips! they look so crunchy and yummy. and don't even get me started on that guacamole!! :)

Ilanka Verhoeven said...

Looks super yummie!!
x fashionnerdic

Anonymous said...

what a great idea, this looks delicious! i will have to try some. thank you for sharing :)

!Tb0n3! said...

That's yummy!!! Didn't help that I'm starving right now! I think I'm gonna have try to make it myself soon.

JH said...

This was so freaking good.

calgal said...

im so trying this ...