Pages

Friday, September 26, 2014

5 Ingredient Mango Salsa

This is the hands down my favorite salsa. It's sweet, spicy, and tangy and goes great with fish. This compliments the recipe I'll be posting on Monday, so come back for that if you want an idea of what to make with this salsa! Please excuse the presentation, the only clear container I could find was Tupperware. Everything else is packed away since we will hopefully be moving soon!


Mango Salsa
     yields 1.5 cups
  • 2 medium Mangoes, yields 1.25 cups
  • 3 Tbsp finely diced Red Onion
  • 1 heaping Tbsp chopped Cilantro
  • 2 Serrano Peppers, finely diced
  • juice of half a Lime, or whatever will get you about 1 Tbsp
  • salt and pepper to taste (optional if you're keeping it low sodium)

Chop the mangoes into chunks, the size of the chunks is up to you. I like to keep mine a little bigger. Then very finely dice the red onion, Serrano peppers, and cilantro. Add the ingredients to a bowl, squeeze over lime juice and add salt and pepper to taste. A little bit about the heat factor. Serrano peppers are considered to be hot, you can substitute one jalapeno if you prefer a milder salsa. I have an extremely high tolerance for heat, and I would have preferred to use three Serrano's but my husband prefers the heat level to be a little more mild-medium. So adjust to your liking! You could also throw in some chopped pineapple if you want to kick up the sweetness. 

This doesn't yield enough for a bowl of salsa for a party or even a family, I made just enough to go on top of a recipe I'll be sharing later. This is perfect for two people, but it can easily be doubled, tripled, etc. Enjoy! And don't forget to check back Monday to see what dish I topped this salsa with!


Per serving (half of the recipe): 79 calories, 0 grams fat, 193 mg potassium, 18 grams carbs, 16 grams sugar, and 1 gram protein.

No comments: