Pages

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

*Updated* Low Carb Pancake Recipe



The first time I made the pancakes I instantly had to blog it. Since then, I've made them 52 several times and I've decided on my favorite way. It's not much different, but it will give you really thin and creamy pancakes versus the first batch which rendered thick and dense flapjacks. If you aren't too familiar with flax meal, keep an eye out for a variety that says "Golden Flax Meal." It looks and tastes more like regular flour; the standard flax meal is darker in color and although the same in nutritional value I swear it tastes healthier . . . I could be wrong, but I love the golden stuff! The main difference here is subbing water for some of the egg whites. I realized when I was cooking this morning that halfway through the batch seemed to shrink up and I was getting small little pancakes. I added a splash of water and ended up giving my hubby 2 amazingly thin and golden, beautiful pancakes (he ate them before I could get a picture).


Low Carb Pumpkin Spice Pancakes
  • 4 ounces Cream Cheese, softened in microwave
  • 2 extra large Eggs, they can be cold from the fridge still
  • 1/4 c. Egg Whites
  • 1/4 c. Water
  • 6 Tbsp. Golden Flax Meal
  • 2 Tbsp Coconut Flour
  • 2 Tbsp. Sugar Free Vanilla Syrup
  • 1 tsp. Pumpkin Pie Spice (so yummy if you like that Fall flavor!)
  • 1/2 tsp. Baking Powder
  • pinch of Salt
Set a non-stick skillet over medium heat, not quite medium low but not too hot either. In a glass or other microwave safe bowl add the cream cheese and microwave for 30 seconds. Then you want to whisk in the baking powder, pumpkin pie spice, salt, and the sweetener of your choice. Whisk these ingredients into the cream cheese really well until the cream cheese is thick and fluffy, a couple of minutes. Softening the cream cheese then thinning it out a bit will help cool it down and smooth it out so you don't get lumps when the eggs are added. Next, crack in two eggs and add the egg whites. Stir or whisk well to combine. Finally add the coconut flour and flax meal. Here is where you want to check for consistency. I noticed it seemed thin enough at first, but halfway through cooking the coconut flour absorbs much of the moisture so what's left in the batch is thick. You might want to thin it out with 2 tbsp. of water in the beginning, then add the other 2 tbsp. when you're about to make the last four pancakes. It's up to you! Enjoy with bacon and eggs ;)

6 comments:

Dzoli said...

You sound like a little pancake addict.I am smitten by the crispy bacon next to it;))

Joanne said...

These are pretty genius. I honestly would have never thought that they were low carb!

Pam said...

Yum!  That is my kind of breakfast.

Healthy & Homemade said...

I am! They're just too easy to make, so I'm eating them often because it keeps me full and away from carbs!

Healthy & Homemade said...

Yeah, my hubby is just shocked when I tell him the carb count because he can barely believe it =P

Healthy & Homemade said...

Mine too!! =D