Pages

Friday, December 24, 2010

Last Minute Gift Idea!

Merry Christmas Eve fellow bloggers. I'm missing the hubby since he'll be gone until the 27th, but I'm very thankful to have my dad and sister back in town for the holidays! This is going to be a great Christmas ^_^

For those of you who didn't get all of your shopping finished in time, or maybe you're looking for a cute stocking stuffer, here's a quick and easy homemade gift that is sure to please! Homemade sugar shower scrub! My sister gave me the idea to make my own when I started talking about how great all the St. Ives products look. After playing around with different ingredients and amounts I think I found an easy formula using ingredients you're sure to have on hand:





  • Equal parts brown and white sugar
  • Olive oil (any type will do, the lighter the better)
  • Scented extracts, essential oils, or you could swap the olive oil for baby oil
I found using equal parts of brown and white sugar kept the scrub from being too intense and gave it a nice color. I used almond and vanilla extract for my batch; I wanted to use peppermint but I realized that the extract I had was simply 'mint' and I didn't want my scrub to smell like a green liqueur. 

For assembly: Mix equal parts sugar (I used 1/4 cup each) in a bowl, transfer to the container you wish to use and drizzle with the oil. You can use olive oil, mineral oil, or baby oil for this. Let the oil sink down into the sugar, I mixed mine with a spoon to speed things up! The amount of oil is up to you. I wanted mine saturated without being too wet, because I didn't want it too oily. Lastly you add the scent (optional) and mix it up one more time!




If you're giving this away as a gift I recommend using a really cute container and tying a bow on it so it doesn't look cheap like mine =P

Happy Holidays!!

4 comments:

ann said...

What a great idea. I love that! Have a wonderful Christmas with your dad and your sister!

Tabitha said...

I used to make my own scrubs and loved it! Another great one is honey, lemon, evoo and sugar. :)

Joanne said...

This is definitely an awesome foodie gift! And unconventional too. Merry Christmas chica!

Foodiewife said...

After being an esthetician for 18 years, I can tell you that aromatherapy scrubs are "da bomb"! Peppermint & Rosemary is my all time fave.
Psssssssssst, you need to come to my blog. I have something for you.
Merry Christmas.