Pages

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Campari & Basil Bruschetta

I love Campari tomatoes because they are sweet, plump, juicy, and so easy to chop up! After watching Julie & Julia for the millionth time, yes I know don't judge me, I decided I absolutely needed to have bruschetta on light rye bread. At Albertsons I buy the Wasa brand organic crackers in the light rye flavor. Three (or maybe two?) crackers a serving, with 3 grams of fiber per serving!! Amazing, they're so light and crunchy I just love 'em. For the bruschetta you only need a few simple ingredients, most of which you will already have on hand.




Chop tomatoes, tear basil into very small pieces, and combine all remaining ingredients. I spooned this over the bread and dug in. It was a light and delicious lunch, everything I was craving!



Campari & Basil Bruschetta
  • 14 ounces (nearly 2 cups chopped) organic campari tomatoes, seeded and diced
  • 0.75 ounces of fresh organic basil
  • 2 teaspoons olive oil
  • 2 teaspoons balsamic vinaigrette
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
Preparation & Cooking Instructions:

Wash, seed, and finely dice the tomatoes. Gently wash the basil leaves and let them air dry (I usually do this in advance). Using a very sharp knife roll the basil leaves up like you're rolling a cigar and finely chop the leaves, set aside; you can also tear the leaves by hand if you're worried about them bruising too much, I never am. Add additional ingredients and let the flavors mingle for a few minutes, I like to stir in the basil last minute so it stays fresh and bright. Spoon onto toasted bread, crackers, or whatever you'd like!

3 comments:

Lisa - respect the shoes said...

That looks so refreshing! I love anything with basil in it and I too, enjoyed watching Julie & Julia - heck, I even read My Life in France and Julie & Julia prior to seeing the movie! Big Meryl fan - and super big foodie wannabe!

Tabitha said...

You must be on my wave length. I'm having friends over for dinner on Saturday and I was going to make bruschetta as a starter. This looks delish.

Healthy and Homemade said...

That's awesome! Totally on the same wave length, sometimes I just chop up tomato and onion when I don't have basil and sprinkle a little balsamic glaze over them and spoon them up on those crackers. Fiber, antioxidants, vitamins, and so much good stuff! Makes me feel good about eating carbs at night =P