Pages

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Cheesy Chicken & Broccoli Bake



This was a recipe I threw together a couple of weeks ago. We literally had frozen broccoli, chicken, cheddar cheese, one potato and that was it! I wanted to make a meal without needing to spend more at the grocery store. I think pretty much everyone loves broccoli in their macaroni and cheese (homemade, of course) and chicken and broccoli are also a great combo. To top it off, mashed potatoes and cheese are epic! Here is a quick and easy recipe for a delicious casserole.

Cheesy Chicken & Broccoli Bake
  • chicken (frozen or thawed) 
  • broccoli
  • one russet potato
  • 1 tablespoon butter
  • 2 tablespoons flour
  • 1 cup milk
  • 2 1/2 cups cheddar cheese, divided
  • salt + pepper
  • chives
Preparation & Cooking Instructions

To begin, if your chicken is frozen you want to boil it until fully cooked. I just had frozen chicken strips from Albertsons, I figured they would cook faster than chicken breasts. I seasoned the water with Adobo seasoning, chili powder, rosemary, sage, and a packet of sodium free chicken bouillon. I just wanted to flavor the chicken a bit so the dish wouldn't be so bland. While the chicken was boiling, I prepped my potato by peeling it and then chopping. When the chicken was just about ready I covered the potato with water and slowly brought it up to a boil. Arrange your chicken and broccoli in a dish and begin your cheese sauce. Add your butter to a sauce pan and melt, then stir in your flour to form a paste. Whisk in your milk and continue to cook until it thickens. Once thickened, turn off the heat and stir in 2 cups of cheese. Depending on what type of milk and cheese you're using, you may need more or less. Pour the cheese sauce over your broccoli and chicken. Bake at 350 F until the broccoli has thawed and the sauce has begun to bubble. Cover the casserole with your mashed potatoes, and then top with cheddar cheese. To make the mashed potatoes, drain the potatoes once tender mash in salt + pepper, butter and milk until creamy and fluffy. Adding freshly chopped chives will liven up the potatoes, as well as use up some herbs you might have laying around! Remove from the oven once the casserole has bubbled and browned. Let sit for 10 minutes, and then dish up! Enjoy ^_^


6 comments:

Raquelita said...

Yum!

Anonymous said...

Holy hell that looks delicious!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm going to have to make that! Thanks so much for this recipe... so easy and wow, I'm starving.

Unravelled Threads
Don't forget to enter my custom elastic waistband skirt giveaway!

Kathryn from Schoolmarm Style said...

Yummmmmmmyyyyyyyyy!!!!!! Now I am starving and really want this. I want it so badly I can smell it through the computer!

schoolmarmstyle.blogspot.com

Ashley J said...

That looks soooo yummy!

http://www.afashionfixation.blogspot.com/

Jen Hsieh said...

yum yum yum. that looks way too delicious :)

What Would a Nerd Wear said...

oh my god this is making me so hungry!!! please come to my house and cook with me!