Pages

Monday, March 22, 2010

Strawberry Shortcake: My Way


To be honest, I never really liked strawberry shortcake all that much growing up. Was it the sugar soaked strawberries? I loved them. The whipped cream, freshly made? Oh no, that's my favorite. It must have been the shortcake. I don't know why, it's just not my thing. What I do love is pound cake, who doesn't? Buttery, soft, fluffy but not too light, doesn't make you feel sick to your stomach and is perfect to make into whatever you desire. I had strawberries in the fridge that had seen better days, I picked out all the good and decent ones and chopped them up. Hmmm, what to make now? Then I thought about strawberry shortcake, and drooled a little. Seconds later I was in Albertson's buying pound cake and heavy cream. Oh yes, this is going to be good. Grab a sauce pan and put a bowl in the fridge and lets get to it.

Strawberry Shortcake
  • 1 1/2 cups strawberries, halved or quartered
  • 1/8 to 1/4 cup sugar, it's all up to your taste buds
  • pound cake
  • whipping cream
Start by chilling your bowl and beaters really well, and while they are in the fridge you can get started on your strawberries. In a small sauce pan over medium-low heat add your strawberry and sugar mixture and a small splash of water. Begin to cook down, this can take a while so be patient! Slice your pound cake (if you're serving two, make four slices) and plate. Take your bowl, beaters, and cream out of the fridge and begin your whipped cream. I wanted a firm peak, but it ended up being pretty soft. I usually use heavy whipping cream, but I bought regular whipping cream this time around. Once your bread is plated cover with strawberries and drizzle extra syrup over the plate, top with a dollop of whipped cream.

3 comments:

Jen Hsieh said...

i'm pretty sure i just drooled, haha. those strawberries look amazing!

kate maggie said...

genius. I love your blog!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for info, I am always looking for something interesting on the Internet, i want to send
photos for your blog