Pages

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Maple Glazed Salmon with Veggies



Tonight's dinner was simple and quick to pull together, my only complaint was the actual salmon I used. I got frozen wild caught salmon from Trader Joe's and honestly it was pretty eh. Okay I guess. I don't know, the flavor wasn't really that great, the texture and color wasn't all that pretty and it made my house smell so badly like fish. I'm talking I walked through the door after taking out the trash and wanted to barf. After about 40 minutes of all the windows opened, fan on, and tons of room spray my house smells almost normal again. Although the salmon wasn't my favorite, it was still pretty darn good!

For the sauce:
  • 1/2 cup maple syrup (the real stuff, not aunt whoever's)
  • splash of apple cider vinegar
Preheat your broiler on high and preheat a skillet over medium heat with a tablespoon of olive oil. Place the salmon into the pan and season with salt and pepper. In a small sauce pan bring your sauce up to a simmer and reduce down. When the salmon is halfway cooked flip it over and season the other side, pour sauce over. When the salmon is fully cooked transfer to the oven and cook for a few minutes until the salmon is almost caramelized. For the sides I kept it simple with some chicken fried rice and veggies. For the veggies I threw together whatever I had, and sauteed them in a skillet with a little butter, salt, and pepper then poured down a little extra sauce over everything. I love quick delicious meals, especially on weeknights! I hope you give this a try soon, but I definitely recommend buying fresh salmon =D