Pages

Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Taco Salad



Good afternoon! Who here loves minimum days? I know I do =) I was finished with stapling homework packets by 1:30 and was free to go! I'm usually starving when I get home from being at work, shopping, out and about, basically anywhere. I'm not big on fast food, eating out, or eating a lot when I'm on my feet and having to bend over, etc etc etc. Anyway, I was hungry when I got home. I had 2 packs of tofu in my fridge, 3 spears of romaine lettuce, Steamfresh brown rice, and a can of vegetarian refried beans. Hmmm, sounds like a taco salad in the making, right? Ohhhh yes, and it was so good.

Are you like me when it comes to making salads? Basically, I love getting them at restaurants but hate making them at home. If I do make them, it has to be something special. I don't feel like wasting my time chopping lettuce just to have a lettuce salad with chopped nuts or hemp seeds sprinkled on top.




For the dressing I used Veganaise (vegan sour cream) and blended it with salsa. It's really good! It adds a nice texture and flavor, but is still really light and healthy, unlike smothering your salad in buttermilk ranch dressing *shudder.*


If I was really cool (and had time/energy) I would make my own taco shell bowl, and put the rice & beans at the bottom, lettuce on top, then dressing, then tofu, then cheese. Lets be real here, I don't care all that much. Low carb is better anyway =P

I'm going to make myself a big, boiling hot, cup of coffee and try to warm up in my apartment! Have a great night!

4 comments:

chula said...

That looks good.

Darlene convinced me to eat in the school cafeteria for lunch.

I might be dying.

Let's hope that I feel better in the morning because I still have to make everything and clean the house.

Raquelita said...

This looks delicious! I actually like making salads at home. I usually tear up the lettuce instead of chopping it. My most recent salad obsession is to make a big salad with greens, tomatoes, red onions, cucumber, feta cheese, olives, figs, and peppers. I dress it with a homemade honey ginger vinaigrette dressing. I'm making one tomorrow for Thanksgiving dinner, and I'm almost as excited about it as I am about green bean casserole and honey garlic mashed potatoes.

Healthy and Homemade said...

Mmmmmm that salad sounds so yummy!! =)

What Would a Nerd Wear said...

yum that looks delicious!