Pages

Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Potato & Pepper Stoup

I've been sick the past couple of days and things have been pretty lazy around here. No working out, no going out, lots of movies, naps, and most importantly hot tea! Although it isn't cold or rainy outside, that's how it feels to me which makes me crave my favorite rainy weather food: soup!


This was a recipe I found a while back while flipping through channels. Rachael Ray was on in the morning, and although I'm not big on watching TV a recipe of hers caught my eye. I've heard of "stoup" before and thought it was an awesome idea. A stew mixed with a soup = stoup! So simple, but much heartier and more satisfying than a watered down soup. Don't get me wrong, I love a good creamy tomato soup when I have a super sore throat or craving for it, but when I have the sniffles I want something with more substance. Her recipe for a Peperonata Stoup is incredibly easy, and extremely delicious! I definitely modified the original recipe, but only to make it vegan and use more of the flavors I love.


Potato & Pepper Stoup


  • Grapeseed oil
  • 2 potatoes sliced, any type will do (unpeeled, the skin is good for you!)
  • 1 very large onion (we love onion here)
  • Several Anaheim Green Peppers
  • Pre-minced garlic (about 8 teaspoons)
  • 1 large can of stewed tomatoes
  • 1-2 tablespoons of crushed red pepper flakes (start with a little, and add more until the desired spiciness is achieved)
  • 1 quart organic low sodium vegetable broth
  • Salt + Pepper
  • Nutritional yeast
  • Dried basil
  • Dried parsley
  • Bay leaf
I didn't make any bread to go along with mine, and instead of the cheese I sprinkled my bowl with a homemade version of Parma. I zapped my potatoes in the microwave until softened, and then browned them really well in the pan before I added them to the stoup. I like to leave the skin on my potatoes, as well as other veggies I'm preparing, because a lot of the nutrients remain in the skin. Potato skin provides a good source of B vitamins, fiber, and several other vitamins and minerals. I also added in a bay leaf to the stoup and took it out before I added in the potatoes. Rachael Ray always cooks with very fresh fruits, vegetables, and herbs but I didn't have time to make it to the store and chop fresh basil and parsley so I used the dried stuff I had in my pantry. It came out wonderfully, it's perfect for rainy days or when you're feeling under the weather.

No comments: