Pages

Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Breakfast Quesadillas




Woohoo Wednesday! I love Wednesday's, mainly because one of my new favorites shows Glee is on =D If you're like me, most days you probably have a pretty active morning. What I love? A good breakfast. When you think, "filling, healthy, balanced," most likely you aren't thinking of quesadillas (and for good reason). Add veggies, black beans, eggs and voila! You have a filling, healthy, balanced, and freakin awesome breakfast!

Breakfast Quesadillas
  • 2 tortillas (I use the raw, uncooked, lard & trans fat free ones)
  • 2 eggs (scrambled)
  • 1/2 cup of cheese (I only had mozzarella, but I would recommend jack or pepper jack . . . and you can always use more, especially if you're leaving out the egg, but I try to keep it healthy ;-)
  • 1/8 cup chopped scallions
  • salsa
For my tortillas, I have to cook them before use. If you're using regular pre-cooked packaged tortillas then you can get started right away.

Scramble your eggs in a separate skillet to start, once they're finished throw one tortilla with a teaspoon of Smart Balance margarine into a pre-heated skillet. Use 1/2 of your cheese to sprinkle on the tortilla. Next, layer your scrambled eggs, scallions, and a couple tablespoons of salsa and add the rest of your cheese on top (adding cheese on the bottom and top of your "main" ingredients will help the tortillas stick, and keep everything together and ready to flip!). It's best to cook on medium to medium-low to make sure the cheese melts before you're ready to flip, but also to get a nice even golden brown color and not little burnt spots from having the heat too high. This quesadilla by itself is delicious, but paired with a side of black beans and salsa it's nothing short of perfection.


No comments: