Pages

Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Pineapple Teriyaki Chicken Kabobs

This was so easy and delicious! You won't believe how good these are until you make them yourself. The ingredients are simple and cheap, but this is the kind of meal you'll want to go back for a second helping. Let's get right into it!

Pineapple Teriyaki Chicken Kabobs:
      makes 8-10 full skewers
  • boneless skinless Chicken Thighs (I had 1.65 lbs)
  • Pineapple Chunks, I had a 20 ounce can of Dole
  • 1 Red Bell Pepper
  • 1 Green Bell Pepper
  • 1 White Onion
  • optional: jasmine or white rice on the side
For the Glaze:
  • 1 cup bottled Teriyaki Sauce
  • 1 tablespoon Ginger (I use the Dorot frozen cubes)
  • 1 tablespoon minced Garlic, fresh or prepared
  • 1 tsp Cornstarch
  • 2 tsp cold Water
The longest part of this recipe is assembling the kabobs, it was not my favorite but so worth it. I definitely recommend metal skewers; if you use bamboo only go halfway with these because they're so heavy they can break the skewers, we learned that the hard way. Chop everything into similar sizes. The exact size you make the pieces doesn't matter as much as them all being uniform so things cook evenly. I followed a simple pattern of chicken, onion, pepper, pineapple, and repeat until you get to the top. I double bagged these in Ziplocs and put them in the fridge until it was time to cook them. 

To prepare the glaze get a small sauce pot and add the teriyaki sauce, ginger, and garlic and over medium heat bring it to a low boil. Mix the cornstarch with the water until the cornstarch dissolves, then add that to the pot with the other ingredients. Leave it at a low boil for a a few minutes or until it's thickened up some. You want it a nice glaze consistency so it sticks on the kabobs better. I divided my mixture into two bowls in a 2:1 ratio. The two parts are for brushing on, the smaller part is for drizzling over rice. A quick tip to reduce the sodium is replace some of the teriyaki sauce with water, because this makes a very salty glaze which is perfect for the kabobs but we used very little on the rice. 

My husband is the grill master but he said he cooked these over medium-low heat for about eight minutes per side. He said he could have cooked them quicker but didn't want to burn the veggies. If you're using chicken breasts instead of thighs these are going to cook quicker, and it also depends on the size of your pieces. I was so hungry after taking my daughter outside to play in the kiddie pool with her friend that I inhaled my dinner, I didn't even get a picture! The one above is the picture my friend snapped before we devoured this meal. Seriously so good, perfect for summer. You can easily swap out ingredients like beef instead of chicken, no onion if you don't like onion, more veggies, etc. Endless possibilities, hope you enjoy!

No comments: