Pages

Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Sausage Lentil Soup

My apologies for all of the soup recipes lately. Trying to go low sodium has been difficult, and soup has been something that's easy. This soup turned out amazing. I honestly didn't think I would end up sharing the recipe, because it wasn't a recipe. I had random ingredients and tried to make them work. Thanks to my pregnancy brain I left the grocery store with chicken apple sausage, potatoes, carrots, mushrooms, and parsley. Did not think it through. Luckily I had lentils and canned tomatoes at home, and this turned out wonderfully! Feel free to substitute the chicken apple sausage for Italian, spicy, or whatever you have on hand.

Sausage Lentil Soup
     serves 5
  • 2 Sausage Links, casings removed
  • 1 cup Lentils
  • 28 ounce can crushed no salt added Tomatoes
  • 4 ounces sliced Mushrooms
  • 1 cup diced Carrots
  • 1/4 cup diced White Onion
  • 1 1/4 Tbsp Olive Oil
  • 1 tsp minced Garlic
  • 3 cups Water
  • to taste: ground black pepper, cayenne pepper, red chili flakes, fresh parsley
In a large pot over medium heat add the olive oil, mushrooms, carrots, and white onion. I let these saute while I removed the casings from the sausage and chopped it up into small pieces. Add the sausage to the pot along with the garlic and red chili flakes; continue to cook for a couple minutes. All the crushed tomatoes, lentils, and water and bring to a simmer. I cooked this for approximately 40 minutes. I had originally set the timer for 25, but decided to let some more of the water cook out. This soup was delicious topped with extra ground black pepper, cayenne, parsley, and parmesan cheese.


Per bowl: 295 calories, 8 grams fat, 250 mg sodium, 162 mg potassium, 20 grams carbs, 7 grams of sugar, and 18 grams of protein.

No comments: