Pages

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Baked Shrimp


Oh my goodness, who knew eating "diet" food could be this enjoyable?! This is by far one of the best dishes I've had, and I'm really excited to share it with you!


Baked Shrimp
      adapted from Ellie Krieger, serves 2
  • 8 extra large raw, deveined, and peeled Shrimp (157 calories)
  • 14.5 ounce can no salt added Diced Tomatoes (87 calories)
  • 1 small yellow Onion, chopped (53 calories)
  • 1/4 Parsley, chopped (4 calories)
  • 2 cloves Garlic, minced or pressed (8 calories)
  • salt, pepper, and Old Bay to taste
  • optional: 2 tablespoons Coconut Oil (I didn't use this, I sauteed in water)
 Preheat oven to 425 F. Heat the coconut oil over medium heat in an oven proof pot (or regular saute pan) and add the diced onion. Saute onion, stirring, until softened. Add the garlic and saute for one minute, turn the heat up to medium-high, add the canned tomato and bring up to a boil. Reduce heat and cook for several minutes until the tomatoes juices thicken then turn off the heat. Add in the shrimp, parsley, and spices. Transfer to oven (or oven proof dish, then to oven) and bake for 12 minutes or until the shrimp are pink and cooked through. Serve alongside a delicious salad. Enjoy!

Based on the amount of everything I used and considering the brands the entire recipe was 309 calories. So you're looking at about 150 calories per serving of the shrimp, plus another 13 or so for the chunk of romaine. Not bad!

12 comments:

Harley said...

oh delicious! I am super excited to try this one.

The Hungry Housewife said...

Looks like a healthy meal I would totally enjoy!!

Fab Kimberly said...

I have shrimp that I was planning on doing something with for dinner this week and now I know just what I am going to make.  This looks super yum!!

Joanne said...

I love it when I prove to myself, once again, that healthy food can still taste awesome! Loving this dish.

Healthy & Homemade said...

I hope you do! =D

Healthy & Homemade said...

I shocking how filling it is, since it's not much shrimp. The veggies really give you a satisfied feeling though. I love anything that's warm, bubbly, and tastes like garlic!

Healthy & Homemade said...

Hooray! It's easy to pull together, I really do recommend having the fresh herbs though =D If you have cheese you can always sprinkle some over the top before baking it. YUM!

Healthy & Homemade said...

I totally agree!! I just wish I could have CHEESE on my diet, because this would be piled high with feta hehe.

Ashley's Cooking Adventures said...

Looks so fresh and light, I am definitely going to make this one soon! 

Amyepalmacci said...

I need to make this ASAP! It look so yummy and shrimp is one of my most favorite things to eat.  Thanks so much for the recipe. :)

Happy New Year!!

Healthy & Homemade said...

Definitely a favorite of mine!!!

Healthy & Homemade said...

Thanks so much for reading!! It's such a simple recipe but it's also light, fresh, and totally satisfying. Everything I need in life LOL!