Pages

Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Fajita Bowls for 200 Calories


I'm back on the low calorie, no fat, no sugar, nothing processed, etc part of my diet. It's been fine so far, and I'm finally in the 140's! My hubby got steak fajitas for dinner the other night and it crushed my spirits just a teensy bit. The aroma of sizzling spicy flank steak paired with creamy sour cream and guacamole is hard to endure! Today I decided I would make a diet friendly version of the dish. I swapped out bell peppers for English cucumber to save calories and sugar, and used ground turkey instead of steak. To top it I used a tablespoon of very hot salsa and a dab of Greek yogurt, served with wedges of lime of course!


Low Calorie Fajita Bowl
  • 113 grams 93/7 Ground Turkey (150 calories)
  • ~165 grams, or 1 whole seeded, peeled, and chopped English Cucumber (19 calories)
  • ~55 grams raw white or yellow Onion (20 calories)
  • 1 tbsp. Hot Salsa (5 calories)
  • 1 tbsp. 0% fat Greek Yogurt (8 calories)
  • chopped fresh Cilantro
  • a pinch of the following spices, or whichever you'd prefer: Cumin, Coriander, Chili Powder, Mrs. Dash garlic & herb*, Mrs. Dash lemon pepper*, Mrs. Dash table blend*, salt and pepper to taste*
*I have a pinch bowl with all of these ingredients already mixed, the blend works with just about any meal!

Preparation & Cooking Instructions 

Peel, seed, and chop the cucumber into sliced rounds (much like bell pepper strips). Chop the onion, add the veggies to a saute pan over medium heat. I like to combine chopped cilantro with water and use that in combination with the spices to season the veggies and help them cook. When the veggies are tender, remove from the pan and set aside. In the same pan add the turkey and any additional seasonings. Cook until browned, add all the veggies back to the pan to heat through. Serve in a bowl topped with Greek yogurt or sour cream, salsa, and lime. Enjoy!!

This whole bowl is only 202 calories! I don't actually count the tablespoon of yogurt because I eat 100 calories worth of Greek 0% yogurt a day, so I just took a tablespoon out of that ;)

15 comments:

definingtabitha said...

This looks delicious! I may just have to try it.

Pam said...

Quick and delicious.

Healthy & Homemade said...

The way every meal should be! =D

Healthy & Homemade said...

I loved it, I'll definitely give it a shot with ground chicken to save on calories for next time! =D

Joanne said...

The 140s...that is totally where I want to be! Keep up the good work and delicious food love! And tell your hubbie no steaks in front of you!

Kitchen Tinkers said...

so glad i found this it looks delicious! thanks, Belle

Healthy & Homemade said...

Thanks Joanne!! I'd like to get down to 135-140, I'm 5'7" so it's a totally healthy weight for me!

Healthy & Homemade said...

Hope you give it a shot! I thought it was great =D

Feathers & Freckles said...

Wow, this looks great... and healthy!

Sharon said...

That

Sharon said...

This is a nice looking low calorie fajita.  And congratulations on reaching your weight goal!

Jessica said...

You had me at 200 calories, this looks so good!

Healthy & Homemade said...

It's a good way to do Mexican food without the delicious beans and guacamole lol =D

Healthy & Homemade said...

Thanks! I'm not quite to my goal yet, but I'll hopefully be there early in the new year =)

Healthy & Homemade said...

Hahaha totally! Who can feel guilty about 200 calories that is super satisfying and filling? =D