Pages

Monday, October 3, 2011

Maple Cayenne Brussels Sprouts w/ Ginger, Garlic, Soy Chicken

I wish I had discovered this recipe sooner on this diet! I'm almost finished with the low calorie phase, but I can guarantee you I'll be making this often in the future. It's sweet, tangy, and spicy but it comes together in about 20 minutes or less.


Maple Cayenne Brussels Sprouts
      makes 2 servings
  • 200 grams Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved (86 calories)
  • 1 Tbsp. sugar free maple syrup of choice, I love the Joseph's brand (9 calories)
  • ~1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper, I used about 3/4 of the measurement
  • 1 tsp. coconut oil (40 calories) *I don't factor in coconut oil to my calories, that's just me*
  • salt substitute
Preparation & Cooking Instructions

Preheat oven to 400F. Line a baking sheet with foil. In a bowl toss the trimmed, washed, and halved Brussels sprouts with the coconut oil and season with salt. Arrange on the baking sheet and bake at 400 for 15-20 minutes, or until nicely browned and soft enough to piece with a fork. Flip the sprouts halfway through roasting. In a small bowl add the maple syrup and cayenne, stir to combine. When the sprouts are finished roasting drizzle them with the maple/cayenne mixture and roast an additional minute or so. I just turned off the oven and left them in there for a few minutes.

Ginger, Garlic, Soy Chicken
  • 100 grams chicken breast, I prefer chicken escalopes (about 100 calories)
  • 1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
  • 1/2 tsp. garlic paste, or fresh garlic minced
  • 1 tsp. ginger paste
Preparations & Cooking Instructions

In a plastic bag add the chicken and the rest of the ingredients. Let marinate in the fridge for at least 1 hour, or overnight. In a non-stick skillet over medium heat cook the chicken for approximately 3-4 minutes per side. The escalopes are so thin they cook up in no time. Wrap the breast in foil and allow to sit for 5 minutes. Plate alongside the sprouts and enjoy! This meal is around 150 calories!



7 comments:

definingtabitha said...

 A week doesn't go by where we don't make brussel sprouts.  I'll have to try this recipe.

Sprigs of Rosemary said...

Although I really do love Brussels sprouts any ol' way, I've never tried this and I'm looking forward to it.  The chicken, too!  You've put together one heckuva meal that looks way more caloric than it is.  I've never trusted sugar free syrups, though.

Healthy & Homemade said...

Oh man that's AWESOME! They're so good for you, I love the flavor. Definitely a pretty presentation as well =D

Healthy & Homemade said...

Hooray! =D I can't wait to make it again and again!

Healthy & Homemade said...

I know, when I eat a meal like that I can't help but think "is this diet food??" It's so good! The Joseph's brand syrup is the only one I will recommend. It's only 3 ingredients, super thick, tastes like the real deal, and is made with malitol not aspartame or Splenda.

Guest said...

New to your blog! But it is fun seeing some of your ideas! I have a new found love of brussel sprouts and this definitely caught my eye! Although like someone else said, syrups really freak me out. I've turned into a lover of Maple Agave Nectar. Little goes a long way! 

Healthy & Homemade said...

Maple Agave Nectar sounds yummy! I just can't have the added sugar in my diet or else I would totally try that! Thanks for reading ^_^