Pages

Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Mango Chicken Sausage Pasta



This is a simple dish you can throw together on a busy weeknight. The sausage and pasta has plenty of protein and whole wheat deliciousness. The spinach will give this dish a bright fresh flavor, plus a good boost of iron and calcium!
Mango Chicken Sausage Pasta
      about 3 servings
  • 1 cup of whole wheat penne pasta
  • 3 sausages
  • 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
  • 2 tablespoons EVOO
  • 1/4 to 1/3 cup (or more, if you'd like) traditional marinara sauce
  • a few big handfuls of fresh spinach
Preparation and Cooking Instructions

Boil and heavily salt your water. While you're waiting on the water, prep the rest of your ingredients. If your spinach is looking a little sad, pop it into a bowl of lemon ice water and it will refresh your greens. I hadn't cooked the sausage in a while and I forgot because it was pre-cooked you can slice it before you throw it in the pan. I definitely recommend slicing it first or it will burn easily. If you're using raw meat, then leave it in the casing and cook it before you slice it so it doesn't fall apart.

In a small skillet saute the sliced chicken sausage in a tablespoon of EVOO, so it doesn't burn, and brown it up nicely on all sides. Cook pasta until al dente, drain, and return to pot. Toss in the sausage, another tablespoon or two of oil, and your remaining ingredients. Cook over low heat for a few minutes to finish the pasta and combine the flavors.


Serve up and enjoy! If it's not too cold where you are, this would be delicious with a nice crisp salad ^_^

6 comments:

Monica H said...

Oh yum! That plated meal looks awesome!

LindsFM said...

This looks easy and super tasty! Thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

That dish looks amazing!! I am curious as to how that mango sausage tasted!!

-Meghan Rae

www.thefashionistafoodie.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

All I have to say is YUM! My go-to option for dinner lately has definitely been chicken sausage, some sort of veggie, and pasta!

test it comm said...

I like the sound of mango chicken sausage.

Laurel Ann said...

I made this for the Hubs and myself last night but I made it with turkey sausage and with spaghetti style noodles. (Just what I had one hand.) At the risk of sounding like an idiotic bubblegum mallrat (which I used to be), OH. EM. GEE. This was delicious. Normally, my husband doesn't like spaghetti. Really doesn't like it. And he hates whole wheat noodles. But he proclaimed this dish to be one of his favorites that I've ever cooked in our two years together. THANKS!

http://one-girl-vs-world.blogspot.com