Pages

Sunday, June 6, 2010

Homemade Fast Food in a Flash

These breakfast items will definitely keep your wallet full, as well as your stomach. As much as I love Starbucks or Peets coffee in the morning we've saved hundreds of dollars in a matter or months by brewing our own. I'm fine with a hot cup of coffee and a splash of milk on most workdays, however on the weekends I want something with a little pizazz! Enter: The Magic Bullet. I worked at Rite Aid during college and the Magic Bullet was popular when it first came out; I used my discount to buy one so it only cost $40 or so. I don't use it all that often, the infomercials make it look ridiculously efficient but realistically it's best for really small batches or liquids like milk and cream. I use my Vitamix for everything from making dough to blending smoothies, but it's a bigger pain to clean because of its size. The MB is very compact and only has one speed, when you add warm milk and the whipping blade you'll get a beverage like this:




Homemade lattes, oh yes please. Simply whip your milk or cream until it becomes foamy and add a sprinkle of cinnamon if you'd like. Take that $4 cup of coffee! =P

Another item many of us might go for is a breakfast sandwich, Egg McMuffin, whatever you want to call it. I can make my own for cheap and it only takes 5 minutes. You'll need an English muffin, Canadian bacon or some other meat (optional), egg, and cheese. 


Easy and quick to assemble. I use little ceramic ramekins to zap the eggs in the microwave for a minute or so. It's faster than cooking in a skillet and you end up with the perfect shape for your breakfast sandwich. Although workdays are reserved for oatmeal and plain coffee, it's always nice to spruce up a lazy Sunday with something special.

6 comments:

Hello*Pretty said...

That looks de-lish! I'm a huge fan of the egg McMuffin..so may have to try this! xo-karrie
www.hellopretty.net

Elaine said...

Those cheeses sound delicious!!! I love cheese :D:D

clothed much, a modest fashion blog

Jen Hsieh said...

all i can say is yum. i'm definitely going to be making myself a breakfast sandwich tomorrow!

Unknown said...

looks yummy im hungry x

LifestyleBohemia said...

I am all about the home-made breakfast. I force myself out of bed a bit earlier everyday just so I can make it fresh at home.
Have a lovely day!
xx

Pam said...

I love those breakfast sandwiches! The cheese flavors look awesome.