Pages

Saturday, April 3, 2010

Tricolor Lemon Yogurt Pie


As the Easter bunny approaches nearly everyone gets a hankering for something sweet and satisfying. I remember this pie from my childhood, and I also remember my grandmother making jello parfaits when we'd come to visit. My sister and I would swim for what felt like hours at the pool, diving for rings, gulping down chlorinated water, me complaining about my ears hurting, both of us trying to avoid a sunburn, and then finishing the day with cold sandwiches and jello parfaits.

This recipe is too easy not to try! I wanted to put a spin on it and add some pizazz! When I think of Spring my mind automatically thinks of green grass, warm days & cool nights, and pastels. Of course pastels! Aren't they the best part of Spring? At least for my complexion they are =P I decided to do a tricolor pastel lemon yogurt pie with a delicious strawberry glaze.

Tricolor Lemon Yogurt Pie
  • two 6 ounce containers of regular yogurt (I used lemon)
  • 8 ounces Cool Whip
  • graham cracker pie crust, regular or low fat (once again better to make your own or buy a frozen one since the ready made usually have trans fat; then again who has time to make pie? You can easily find organic and healthier pie crusts from TJ's or Whole Foods)
  • juice from 1/2 a lemon for additional flavor
  • food coloring (optional)
For the glaze
  • 1/2 cup strawberry pulp (about 5 large strawberries)
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 2 1/4 teaspoons corn starch
  • 1/8 cup cold water
  • 1/2 tablespoon butter
  • 1 teaspoon lemon juice

Combine yogurt, lemon juice, and Cool Whip. You want the Cool Whip thawed but still very cold, so it's okay if there are some lumpy cold spots they'll soften when you mix. I used 4 drops of blue dye, 3 blue, and I only needed 1 drop of red to make the lovely light pink. Layer one of your colors, replace lid, and freeze for a minimum of 10 minutes. I used reduced fat graham cracker crust, 3.5 grams of fat instead of 6 and less carbs! Repeat with your second color layer. Then again with your third, and leave in the freezer for one hour.

I began on the strawberry glaze when my first pie layer was chilling. Combine the mashed strawberries, sugar, water, and corn starch. Simmer over medium heat, stirring frequently. Once your mixture has thickened up (about 15 minutes) take off the heat and stir in your butter and lemon juice. You might want to add in some red food coloring, the corn starch can make it a Pepto Bismol type pink. I added 6 drops of red dye. Then I transferred this to a separate bowl so it would cool sooner. Strain thoroughly (I strained twice) to remove all lumps and bumps, cover and refrigerate until cooled and thickened. I piped the glaze through a Ziploc bag. Feel free to decorate however you'd like, or not at all!


3 comments:

Jen Hsieh said...

ahhh this looks so delicious! i love the pattern you made on the top of the pie :)

Mary Lee said...

ooh cool, love the colours and it sure does look delicious!

Breezer said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving some comments! I just discovered your blog today, going through the archives of the featured bloggers on the We Love Colors blog. :-)

I've recently started featuring more recipes and foodie projects, and I'm just getting a daily look feature going, so be sure to check back and let me know what you think!

Oh, and thanks for the heads up about your homemade pancake recipe! I'll have to try that out for sure.