Pages

Thursday, April 22, 2010

Cashew and Peanut Fried Tofu



I had mentioned a couple weeks ago that I ate at Siam Best up in LA and it was beyond amazing. My sister J. and I shared cashew nut tofu and garlicky broccoli. I had been wanting to replicate the dish for weeks now and I think I nailed something similar! My ingredient list is totally lame and I didn't measure every single thing but the sauce is super simple and frying tofu is a breeze.

Cashew and Peanut Fried Tofu
  • 1 package extra firm tofu, cut into 1" cubes
  • cornstarch, flour, chili powder, salt + pepper to season the tofu
  • 3/4 cup water
  • 1 chicken, veggie, or beef bouillon packet (sodium free!)
  • about 1 teaspoon hot chili flakes
  • teeny squirt of sriracha sauce (depending on how spicy you want it)
  • drizzle of honey
  • 1/2 teaspoon of sesame oil
  • 2-2 1/2 tablespoons peanut satay
  • about 8 cashews, halved
  • 1 teaspoon minced garlic
  • salt + pepper to taste
  • lettuce or another leafy green to mix into the sauce, chopped
Preparation & Cooking Instructions

Start off by rinsing, draining, and cubing your tofu. Mix with the cornstarch, flour, and spices in a Ziploc bag and set aside. Heat vegetable oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. In a sauce pan combine your water, bouillon, and everything else through the lettuce or other leafy green. Bring that sauce up to a soft boil and reduce the heat to low and let simmer until the tofu is completely fried. I stirred my lettuce in a couple minutes before serving to soften it up a bit. To fry the tofu you'll want to check with one cube to see if the temperature is right. It takes a few minutes on each side of the tofu to get it evenly browned and crispy. I did my tofu in two batches and drained it on paper towels. Once the tofu is all fried and the sauce is ready, combine and serve immediately.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That. Looks. AMAZING. Wow, I'm hungry.

unravelledthreads.blogspot.com

Everyday Vegetarian said...

Sounds great. I think pressing the tofu too would make it even better (i love tofu!)

Vera said...

I'm cutting down on meat these days, and that's a great recipe to try out tonight! Thanks for sharing :)