Pages

Friday, March 19, 2010

Nopales Enchiladas


Although St. Patty's totally kicked my bum this year, I still wanted to make dinner last night since I had been a total baby all day long. I had to call in sick to work, because standing up is apparently challenging =P I got nopales from a coworker and decided to make enchiladas with them! For those who have never had nopales or have no idea what I'm talking about, nopales is the meat from a cactus plant. I've never bought and prepared this because it can be a pain. The plant is prickly and slimy. Luckily, she had already prepared it and diced it so I could just throw it into my meal. This dish is simple to put together and has incredible health benefits! Nopales are very rich in fiber, vitamins & minerals, lowers the glycemic effect in a meal, and can be beneficial in the treatment of diabetes. It's like a wonder food, and happens to taste great! When I opened the container it reminded me of smelling a very bland and mild pepper although the flavor is a little tart. They are good, and hubby was drooling over the meal! I made Spanish rice and spicy re-fried beans to go alongside.

Nopales Enchiladas
  • corn tortillas
  • 2 cups nopales, diced
  • 2 cups potatoes, diced
  • 1 zucchini or other squash, diced
  • 1/2 an onion, sliced
  • large can green (or red) enchilada sauce
  • cheddar cheese
  • side of beans, optional
  • side of rice, optional
  • queso fresco to garnish, optional
Prep all of your veggies and preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. When your potatoes are diced add to a pot and cover with cold water. Bring potatoes up to a boil and cook for just a few minutes. You want them softened but not totally cooked or they will get too mushy. In a skillet add a drizzle of oil and your onions. Saute over medium heat until softened, add in your squash, nopales, and drained potatoes. I seasoned this with Adobo, chili powder, and course black pepper. Saute over medium heat until all of your veggies have softened and the flavors have a chance to blend together. Next up, take a stack of your tortillas (I used 10 in all) and place them in a very damp paper towel and microwave for about 40 seconds.

This is where you need to move quickly, if the tortillas dry up or get cold they will break easily. Spread a thin layer of sauce on the bottom of your pan and begin assembling your enchiladas. Fill, and then pin. Once you've finished rolling them all up, cover generously with your sauce. We chose a green sauce. Bake in the oven until bubbly and hot, then generously cover with cheese and cook until fully melted. Mmmm. Serve with rice and beans, and enjoy! It's hard to feel guilty about eating such a delicious and fiber rich meal!


5 comments:

Jan said...

Looks WONDERFUL. I saved the recipe even though I'm not sure I'll find nopales in the Pittsburgh area, but you never know!

Valerie said...

These enchiladas look so delicious!!! I'll have to try the recipe. Love your blog!

:)

Healthy and Homemade said...

Jan-

If your local market has a "Mexican" section (ie: where the salsa, enchilada sauce, and hot sauce would be) you can find nopales in jars =)

Lori said...

Aw thanks :)
Nopales are so good. This looks super yummy!!!

Anonymous said...

Significant figures.Lucky me I found your site by accident, as suitably as I am shocked why this thing didn't occur at an earlier time! I bookmarked it

As a final note , allow me thank you for your understanding with my English as (I am confident you have become aware this by now,), English is not my mother tongue therefore I am utilizing Google Translate to figure out how to enter what I genuinely plan to voice.