Pages

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Bœuf à la Bourguignonne


This classic French dish has been around for ages, it is also popularly known as beef burgundy. Originally a poor persons dish it has transitioned its way into Haute Cuisine, and luckily it is incredibly simple to make. My mother has made this before, and I'm a huge fan of any kind of stew so now that I have my Rachael Ray dutch oven I was stoked to finally make this dish. I made it a couple of days ago, but due to my computers decision to be lame I had to wait for hubby to get home so I could use his =*( We don't know what's wrong with it, but hopefully it will get fixed soon!! Grab your skillet and lets get to cooking, you don't want to miss out on this one!


Bœuf à la Bourguignonne
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 6-8 ounces button mushrooms
  • 1-3 pounds boneless beef roast
  • 1 tablespoon tomato paste
  • 1 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 2 cups dry red wine
  • 2 cups chicken stock/broth
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1 garlic clove, shredded or minced
  • 4 carrots, peeled and cut into cubes
  • 12-14 ounces pearl onions, peeled
  • 1 tablespoon butter, cut into chunks
  • course ground salt and pepper
  • parsley for garnish

Preheat oven to 350 degrees, heat a dutch oven or oven safe pot with a lid over medium-high heat. Add 1/2 a tablespoon to the pot and throw in your quartered mushrooms. Once you've browned your mushrooms (about 6 minutes) remove from heat and add to a separate plate. In batches, blot your meat dry with a paper towel and heavily season with salt and pepper. Brown the beef in batches with the remaining oil and transfer to a second plate. Next you need to create a fond in the bottom of your pan, add one tablespoon of tomato paste and cook for about 30 seconds stirring constantly. Next, sprinkle in the flour and continue to cook for about 30 seconds, stirring. Add the meat back to the pan then stir in your wine, chicken stock, bay leaf, and garlic.

Bring to a boil, cover, transfer pot to oven. Cook for 1 to 1 1/2 hours. Add carrots and onions and cook until meat and veggies are very tender (about an hour more). I served this over new potatoes that I seasoned with rosemary and thyme, and browned in a pot. 15 minutes before serving stir in your butter and mushrooms. Serve topped with parsley.


5 comments:

Jen Hsieh said...

i shouldn't read your blog late at night when i'm hungry! haha :)
this looks so delicious. i'm craving a bite.

erica said...

wow that looked like it turned out divine! That may be a little bit out of my culinary skills for me to make so i`ll just oogal over yours! Yum!

daisychain said...

Ohhh yumm.

Elaine said...

Mmm!!!! That looks so delicious! Especially because I love pearl onions!

Don't forget to enter to win a tankini of your choice!

clothedmuch.blogspot.com

Samantha said...

Oh my gosh! I'm a little late on this post but that looks so delicious! I am sooo saving this recipe for when I have my own house and can messy the kitchen up as much as I want! :) Looks great!