Pages

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Tofu and Avocado "Sandwich"


Hello again! Two food posts in one day, yay for me finally getting my a$$ into gear! Tonight's dinner was a very quick and simple vegetarian "sandwich." I quote sandwich because there isn't actually bread involved. You'll see what I mean. If you're ready to make a delicious Asian inspired tofu and avocado concoction then get your frying pan ready and heat up some oil!

I heated up a squirt of oil I made that was infused with paprika. It has a beautiful color, and a light hint of flavor. Next up, take your block of extra firm tofu that has been drained, rinsed, and pressed and cut yourself a couple slices. I tried to get them pretty thin, but not so thin that they'd fall apart or get too crispy. Once they're absorbed some of the oil sprinkle with whichever seasonings you desire. I did a little mix of table blend spices (no salt added) and coarse ground black pepper. Season both sides well, and cook over medium heat until crispy and cooked throughout.


While your tofu is cooking, slice up half of an avocado for your filling and garnish. When the tofu is cooked, plate one slice and fill with avocado. Place your next slice on top (like they're pieces of bread) and top with any extra avocado. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and a drizzle of sesame seed oil. Eat with a fork, and enjoy!

10 comments:

Heather said...

mmm. i can imagine this being yummy also as a hodge podge with like baby corn and other weird stuff that i like to just throw together. i have no class when cooking.

yum yum.

S. said...

That looks and sounds delicious! I'll have to try that! I'm a vegetarian and am always looking for new things to try =)

S. said...

No problem! I can't wait to see more recipes! Wow vegan is tough! I don't think I could do it haha, but I admire you for being vegan!

Anonymous said...

Oooh! Will definitely be trying this :) I like ordering tofu when I'm out (aka in my pad thai haha), but I never know what to do with it in the kitchen.

daisychain said...

tofu and avacado are two of my favourite things to eat so this will be made asap

Healthy and Homemade said...

I'm excited everyone thinks this looks good. At first I was going to do a sandwich with bread but I couldn't think of a sauce, and this just came together. And OMG it's SO good!! I hope everyone gives it a shot =)

Raquelita said...

It does look really delicious! M. hates tofu, but maybe I'll make it for me for a lunch sometime soon.

Anonymous said...

Looks good! I love avocado and I've been wanting to try eating more vegetarian food, I'll definitely look to your blog for inspiration when I start being less lazy and break out of my food rut...

Anyway I wanted to let you know I've given you an award on my blog. =)

-Megan

Jan said...

I'll eat just about anything if there is avocado involved. Still looking for a tofu recipe I LOVE. This does look good.

Healthy and Homemade said...

How do you usually like your tofu, Jan? I've found I like it crisped up and well seasoned like this and usually paired with a salad =D