Pages

Saturday, September 19, 2009

Spring Rolls



These are really simple and easy to make, and you can use almost any veggies (preferably whatever you have around the house that needs to be used up). For these rolls I used carrots, onion, and zucchini then topped with sesame seeds and fresh mint. To be honest, this was definitely not my favorite combo. The mint made them a little gritty and the veggies didn't taste all that great together. My favorite combo so far is red bell pepper and carrots and cilantro, instead of mint. I also used lemon juice because I thought I was out of lime, then realized I had a fresh lime in the fridge I could have cut up. Whoops! Also, I usually use the Asian Veggie Patties by Morning Star Farms, but I didn't have any so I used the regular veggie patties and it just wasn't the same! Those Asian patties taste so good!


Veggie Spring Rolls

(these are the ingredients for the rolls pictured, but you can mix it up however you'd like)
  • Rice paper wrappers
  • 2 Morning Star Farms veggie patties (any kind would probably work but the Asian patties are the best!)
  • 3/4 cup shredded carrots
  • 3/4 cup shredded zucchini
  • Palm full of diced onion
  • A few sprigs of mint, chopped fine
  • 1 tablespoon minced garlic
  • 2 teaspoons sesame oil
  • 1/2 tablespoon Bragg's (or soy sauce)
  • 1 teaspoon lemon juice
  • Tiny squeeze sriracha sauce (optional)
  • Pinch red pepper flakes
  • salt + pepper
  • Sesame seeds
Over medium heat, combine oil, soy sauce, lemon juice, and garlic and cook until garlic becomes fragrant. Add all of your veggies, sriracha sauce, red pepper flakes, and a little salt + pepper. Cook until just barely tender (tip: make sure you cook the moisture out of your veggies, they will still be soft and flavorful but if they're dripping wet it will tear the rice papers). Microwave your veggie patties according to the directions on the box, and cut each patty into 8 strips. Rice papers are easy to prepare, you dip each rice paper (one at a time) into hot water, do one side first then flip it over and hold the other side in for 5-10 seconds. Then you lay the wrapper on your plate and assemble your roll. In the center, add the veggies first, then a piece or two of the patties, then top with fresh mint and sesame seeds. Roll it up like a burrito and you're finished! You don't actually need a dipping sauce for these because you cooked the veggies in a sauce. Continue this pattern until all the ingredients are used up!



2 comments:

Lyn said...

YUMMM! I want you to make me some again! Delicious!

Healthy and Homemade said...

I know I love them!

My favorite way is still with the baked tofu, carrots, cilantro, sesame seeds and dipping sauce =)