Pages

Monday, October 12, 2015

Gluten Free Chocolate Lava Cakes

I really wasn't sure about sharing the recipe for these because they are so decadent and indulgent, but I had a request for the recipe on Instagram so I decided to go ahead and share it with everyone. I try to keep my recipes around 400 calories or less per serving because I really find it easier to fit delicious food into your daily diet when it isn't taking up half of the calories you should be eating. These lava cakes are extremely high calorie, but I will say I shared one with my daughter and my husband ate the other one. It was incredibly chocolaty and satisfying, and if we had ordered it in a restaurant my husband and I would have shared one with coffee for dessert. I apologize for the poor lighting, the sun is setting early here so unless I make dessert at lunchtime I lose the natural light. 

I love these lava cakes because they only require a handful of basic ingredients, you don't need to whip egg whites, make a water bath while baking them, or fuss with sifting flour and cocoa powder. I topped mine with extra powdered sugar for presentation. These would be absolutely lovely with fresh raspberries, whipped cream, or vanilla ice cream. Hope you enjoy!




Gluten Free Chocolate Lava Cakes
     serves 2 (possibly 4 if you share)
  • 3 Tbsp unsalted butter
  • 1/3 cup, about 2.5 ounces, semi-sweet gluten free chocolate chips (I like the Enjoy Life brand)
  • 2 Tbsp almond flour
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 large egg yolk
  • 1/4 cup powdered sugar
  • 1/2 Tbsp Truvia Baking Blend, or 1 Tbsp granulated sugar
  • 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
  • pinch of salt
  • optional add ins: pinch of cinnamon or instant coffee/espresso powder
Preheat your oven to 425 F and grease two 6-ounce ramekins with cooking spray. Melt the chocolate chips and butter in the microwave in 30 second intervals until almost completely melted. Whisk together to help melt all of the chocolate and smooth out the mixture. Add in the almond flour and both sugars, then whisk to combine. Whisk in the egg, egg yolk, pinch of salt, and vanilla until the mixture is combined. Pour into two ramekins as evenly as you can, then bake for 10 minutes or until the edges are set and the center is jiggly. Let these rest for a couple minutes, then invert them onto a plate or serve right away in the cups. Dust with powdered sugar and dig in!


Per serving, one cake: 498 calories, 19 grams of fat, 40 grams net carbohydrates, 9 grams of protein

No comments: