Pages

Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Vegan Pancakes



It's always difficult to have a recipe post daily, especially when we stick to leftovers! =/ Soup for lunch followed by a piece of pie each. I do have a fabulous recipe for vegan pancakes. I only use this recipe, it took me a few tries to perfect it, but it's delicious and incredibly simple. This recipe doesn't make a huge batch, but it's enough for me and hubby. You can easily double or triple this, depending on how many mouths you have to feed.


Vegan Pancakes
  • 1/2 cup flour
  • 1-2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 2 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup soy milk, almond milk, or you can use dairy milk if you're not a vegan
  • 1 teaspoon canola oil
  • teeny bit of pure vanilla extract
  • dash of lemon/lime juice
  • pinch of salt
In a bowl, add your soy milk and dash of lemon juice. Stir, and let sit for a few minutes while you're preheating a skillet. Adding an acidic juice to your soy milk will help it to curdle (like buttermilk) and also help the pancakes brown nicely. 

After the milk has thickened a bit, add remaining ingredients and whip to combine. Don't over mix, because your pancakes can become tough. I use an 1/8 cup or 1/4 cup measure, depending on how large/how many pancakes I want, and add to a preheated nonstick skillet. When the pancakes begin to bubble, and firm around the edges, flip and briefly cook the other side. Possible mix-ins: teaspoon of any spice you'd like! I always add cinnamon, but pumpkin would be heavenly =)

For those of you watching calories, you might be tempted to skip the sugar. Trust me, you don't want to skip the sugar! It helps the pancakes fluff, and brown evenly. It makes them turn out beautifully and taste like the real deal (minus a whole heck of a lot of ingredients). You can do all kinds of stuff with this basic pancake recipe. Everything from fruit and powdered sugar (pictured above), plain with syrup, with fruit cooked inside, and even turned into a dessert!





The last picture is of Nutella pancakes. I love Nutella, and it's easy to slap it onto your pancakes, and make a delicious dessert =) I actually added about 1 tablespoon to the batter, which made them chocolaty looking, added a dollop to the pancakes after being cooked, and heated up a dab in the maple syrup. They were very sugary, chocoliscious, and loaded with flavor! Makes these for breakfast next time you get a lazy morning, you'll be in pancake heaven =)

3 comments:

Elaine said...

MMMMMM, that looks DELISH!!! :) I've never tried vegan anything! Wait..that's a lie. I've had vegan Italian ice cream which was HEAVEN! I may have to try these pancakes out too :D


clothedmuch.blogspot.com

Kyla said...

Oh, man, these look soooo good. I just recently (like 2 weeks ago) mastered the art of cooking pancakes. Before that, it ended very much like my popcorn story.

Healthy and Homemade said...

OMG Kyla, your popcorn story probably sucked at the time . . . but I laughed my ass off!! =) thanks for sharing it with us